APPRENTICESHIP IN CIVIL ENGINEERING
(exciting opportunity aimed at students who have recently completed their leaving cert)
PUNCH Consulting Engineers is one of Ireland’s leading and most experienced Civil & Structural Engineering Consultancies. Since 1973, we have grown to be one of the largest Irish-owned consultancies, with vast experience in multi-disciplinary services including Civil, Environmental, Structural, Roads & Bridges, Marine & Energy and Conservation. At PUNCH we Engineer Legacies and are consistent recipients of numerous prestigious Awards across RIAI and ACEI. We have offices in Dublin, Limerick, Cork, Galway and Glasgow, Scotland.
Our people are our greatest and most important asset. When you join PUNCH, you join not just an Engineering Consultancy but a company that invests in you as a “Person “. Our mentoring policy and continuous commitment to training and development right throughout your employment is a wellknown fact in the industry. Our well-developed collaborative working environment, an open-door policy where you have direct access to senior management and a high functioning IT department that ensures you have the most up-to-date software and systems to do your job combine to ensure both your personal and professional development. In PUNCH you will find an environment that respects and supports one another, we have faith in the honesty, passion and reliability of our people, we have a strong work ethic, we enjoy our work and are proud of what we achieve together each day.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity for civil and structural engineering apprentices. We are offering this opportunity in association with Atlantic Technological University ATU. The successful Civil Engineering Apprentices will be part of the Civil Engineering Apprenticeship programme.
As an Apprentice you will be part of the PUNCH Engineering team and will progress your training via a blended learning model between academic learning and dedicated live project experiences which will result in you gaining qualification for the role of Engineering Technician or Engineer within the Civil and Structural Engineering profession.
As part of our civil or building engineering division you will be a valued member of the teams delivering high profile projects across Ireland. You will develop your skills along with your academic learning to achieve the professional accreditation of a “Higher Certificate in Civil Engineering Level 6” after 2 years, with the opportunity to advance to “Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering Level 7” after 1 further year of work and study.
PUNCH ensure that all staff have access to our Training schemes and continued professional development CPD which is accredited by Engineers Ireland. As an apprentice, you will be assigned an individual mentor who will support you through your apprenticeship, we will offer you a structured training programme, which will ensure that you achieve all the objectives as set out by ATU for the apprenticeship scheme, you will be afforded both practical training in the office as well as a suitable environment for you to undertake your academic studies and attend lectures remotely.
Support for your Apprenticeship
PUNCH will provide full support to their Apprentices; the Civil Engineering Apprenticeship is a blended learning programme. This programme is set out as follows:
• The Apprentice is a full-time employee of PUNCH.
• During the academic year the Apprentice attends online classes for 1 day of the week
• Apprentices will also attend Campus for one additional day per month for laboratory based classes.
• There will be a 1-week residential course which will be project based learning at ATU.
• The remaining 4 days of the week are based in the office where the Apprentice will develop their knowledge and skills in the work environment.
• The Apprentice will keep a workplace diary noting the progress against workplace goals, this will be reviewed by their mentor.
• As well as working on live projects in the office the Apprentice will be set technical projects and assignments to assess their progress.
About The Role
As a civil engineering Apprentice your experience will evolve to ensure that you will become proficient in the following skill sets at the completion of your NFQ Level 6.
• You will achieve Higher Certificate (NFQ Level 6) in Civil Engineering with the opportunity to progress to Degree (NFQ Level7)
• You will develop an aptitude for creating 3-D models and manipulating to 2D in a clear and concise manner.
• You will have a good understanding of REVIT, Civils 3D and AutoCAD, and a desire to develop your skills in the use of REVIT, Civils 3D and AutoCAD.
• You will develop your knowledge in the use of concrete, steel, masonry and timber and learn about the design of buildings.
• You will develop your knowledge in the design and detailing of civil works such as drainage, roads and watermains.
• You will develop a thorough understanding of the standards and codes of practice.
• You will develop effective communication skills to facilitate written and verbal interaction with colleagues, team members, contractors and Clients.
• You will undertake monitoring with senior staff to ensure compliance with project specification and assess / report on receiving environment.
• You will liaise with engineers to produce models and drawings that accurately reflect the engineering design.
• You will have the opportunity to attend Design / Client / Site meetings accompanied by senior staff.
• You will achieve familiarity and proficiency with PUNCH design philosophy, process and software.
• Achieve familiarity with and implement company ISO Procures.
• You will develop efficient & proactive work practices, thereby contributing to projects that are delivered efficiently, profitably and on programme.
Typically, Apprentices are from one of the following categories:
• School leaver
• Graduate/ Undergraduate
• Career change
The minimum qualifications are as follows:
Leaving Cert Entry
A minimum of 5 grades O6/H7 or higher Leaving Certificate subjects.
• The applicant must also satisfy the maths requirement as outlined below:
• H7 in Higher Level Mathematics, or O6 in Ordinary Level Mathematics, or F2 in Foundation Mathematics.
FETEC Awards and Entry
• The minimum entry requirements for graduates of FETAC to this programme is a full cognate FETAC (Level 5) award or higher to include distinction grades in at least three components. Applicants are to hold a specific maths module with their FE award or to have achieved the minimum maths requirements at Leaving Cert.
This Apprenticeship programme placement is to support the learning/learner to achieve:
• Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering, Level 7.
• This will be a 3-year programme to achieve a Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering, level 7.
• The learner will achieve an earlier qualification of a Higher Certificate in Civil Engineering level 6 after 2 years.
What PUNCH Offer You
A comprehensive remuneration package is on offer for the successful candidate which includes a competitive salary. In addition, PUNCH also provides the following remuneration benefits:
✓ A competitive salary
✓ Annual salary review
✓ Generous Annual Leave Allowance
✓ Family friendly working policies
✓ Life Insurance
✓ Pension Scheme
✓ A highly valued (one to one) mentoring system
✓ Training and continued professional development CPD which is accredited by Engineers Ireland
✓ Lunch seminars and inhouse subject expert presentations
✓ Bike to Work Scheme
✓ Tax saver commuter ticket scheme
✓ An active sports and social club subsidized by PUNCH and regular work life balance opportunities
✓ Staff wellness activities (Yoga / Pilates)
✓ Full access to our Bank at Work Service
✓ Annual Summer Outing
✓ Membership fees to professional bodies such as Engineers Ireland are covered by PUNCH where appropriate.
✓ Examination and study leave
✓ An ISO: 9001 Accredited Company with BM Trada for our quality Management System 4
✓ An ISO:14001 Accredited Company with BM Trada for our Environmental Management System
If interested in applying for an Apprenticeship with PUNCH Consulting Engineers commencing September2023 please send your CV and a Cover letter to email@example.com